Monday, February 12, 2007

Reunited (and yes, it felt SO good)


Did anyone catch the Grammys last night? I'm guessing not, since no one I know ever watches it. I hadn't watched it myself since Jon Stewart hosted (mmmmm, Jon Stewart), but the reunion of The Police hooked me this year.

They opened the show (good move, Recording Academy, since we'd all just skip to their part anyway) with Roxanne, not my favorite song, but like I'm going to be picky. Stewart Copeland looked the happiest I've ever seen him, and even Sting seemed pleased. They're holding a press conference today, most likely announcing a tour and maybe even a new album. Between that and the reunited Van Halen (avec Diamond Dave), I don't know what I'm going to do with myself, other than sell some plasma to pay for the tickets.

Other highlights:

Dixie Chicks were 5 for 5, award-wise. I've always liked them, country or pop. I really need to get that album. Does everything Rick Rubin touches turn to gold? I really like their "I'm Not Ready To Be Nice" song. Yeah, take that, "W" - we have strong words AND a violin!

Justin Timberlake: if someone told me five years ago that I'd be a fan, I would have slapped them silly. Are you kidding me? But he was all OVER the show, kicking butt every which way. He does have soul, and he can play the guitar and piano, AND HE CAN DANCE. Plus, he was involved in an American Idol-esque contest they held to find a singer to perform a duet with him. If it was as impromptu as they suggested (apparently folks on the east coast got to vote and they announced it live on the show), he did a great job of incorporating her into his performance on the fly. He's really matured as an artist and he's just an all-around pro.

The Chili Peppers won. I love that album. I love them.


I'll avoid mentioning the lowlights (Stevie Wonder's suit? That's just mean to do that to a blind man).




photo courtesy of http://www.signonsandiego.com/

1 comment:

Zach said...

I'm kind of bummed I missed it. But Desperate Housewives, you know. The Police blah blah I don't get the hype. But hooray for the Dixie Chicks!