Friday, January 18, 2008

Things I Fucking Love to Death that More People Should As Well

We all have things that we're so enamored with that we just can't understand why more people don't love them as much as we do. Once again, I urge you to contribute...

Northern Exposure (thanks to Dru for reminding me of this) - well-written plots, fully developed characters, great music. I wanted to live in Cicily. I still do.

Spoon - truly excellent band

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - another truly excellent band

Sushi / Fish - ok, this won't win me over with PETA, but sometimes eating a really fresh piece of sashimi feels like I'm ingesting life.

Instant Messenger - I single-handedly credit this service for keeping Dru and I in contact all these years

Bret Easton Ellis - American Psycho is actually my least favorite book of his. Read the short story "Letters from LA" in "The Informers"

Gilmore Girls (it works both here and in the "burning at the stake" one) - Lauren Graham, Lauren Graham, Lauren Graham. Sure, it could be super-girly, but it was witty and snarky and so funny, and sometimes made me weepy.

Old Navy Jeans - ok, maybe you like these, too. They're $25! Can you beat that? And they fit great. Actually, let's make it Old Navy in general. I know they probably get their clothes from warehouses in China who force 10 year old kids to work for 25 cents a week, but since when have you been able to buy a pea coat for under $100? Never, that's when. And I know I'll probably go to hell for shopping there, but at this point isn't it a race between that and all the other crap I've done? At least I'll look good while I'm burning up.

Los Angeles - it's been my home for almost 12 years and overall, it's been good to me. Sometimes when I drive down Sunset, I still can't believe I live here. I bristle whenever I hear a negative word about it. Who doesn't love the ocean and 70-something degree weather all year 'round? (Yes, Dru, we all know you're going to say San Francisco. No one argues with you that it's a great city. When shall we expect our AAA maps and brochures to arrive in the mail?)

1 comment:

Dissident Sister said...

Utterly ludicrous reason why I love L.A.: people actually pull over to the side of the road for emergency vehicles AS WE ARE ALL REQUIRED BY LAW TO DO.

In no other city--and I have lived in about 9000 places--do people actually do this as consistently and as quickly as Angelenos. It does my heart good. I don't know why people in other cities can not fucking figure out that flashing lights = pull to the side, but they can't. I tell you what: if I ever have a loved one in an ambulance whose situation is adversely affected by traffic not getting out of the way, THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

You see what I've done there? I've cunningly made reference to something else I love about L.A. -- movie culture. And speaking of, do an Oscar post, dammit!