Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Sober as a judge

I've taken a self-appointed sabbatical from drinking. Yup, I'm on the wagon. I'd had multiple social opportunities recently that afforded me the environment within which to drink excessively, and to be honest, I've gotten a little bored of it. So for the last week, I've been off the sauce.

Now, there are plenty of weeks that I've gone longer without social lubricants, but those were during far less popular times. It's a completely different story when you find yourself at a popular Mexican restaurant for a friend's birthday and no less than three tequila shots - FREE tequila shots (Don Julio, too!) - are passed under your nose at the urging of your friends. I passed on all of them. Where's my medal?

It was strange to sit there without a drink in my hand, the familiar anchor I'd grown so accustomed to. It's not that I feared I'd lose my social skills or be unable to carry on a conversation (hell, I was even able to flirt somewhat adeptly with the cute guy sitting next to me toward the end of the night). I think it's because I've felt that alcohol brings out the best parts of my personality: my humor, my charm, my bravado (wow, listen to me). Without something to wash down the initial awkwardness of any social situation, I'm left without a crutch, the sloppy veneer that I could hide behind.

What the hell, it's only 'til tomorrow.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Dissident Sister said...

How's this going for you, Broc?