Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Gimme an A

My friend Ebony aka Adams aka Broccoli is defending her doctoral thesis tomorrow (5/11) on a topic about which I have absolutely no idea. Really, I think it has something to do with a guy named Frank. And I think he's an artist....or a writer. Honestly, even if she told me, I'm sure I couldn't grasp it.

I met Ebony in gym class in 7th grade. The first funny thing she shared with me was her imitation of what people look like when they laugh so hard that nothing comes out of their mouths. Ask her to do it for you sometime, it's hilarious. For the last 20 years (yeah, 20 mutherfucker), she's consistently been one of the funniest and smartest people I've ever known, which is saying a lot. She's found a way to seamlessly juxtapose enviable intelligence and leveling wit with a healthy dose of self-deprecation into one charismatic personality. And she has fantastic taste in men.

She's spent the better part of the last 10 years working on what she's presenting to the committee, a group of academics who will determine whether or not we get to spend the rest of time referring to her as "Doctor" (cause you know she'll make us). No matter what happens, it can't be argued that it wasn't time well spent. She finished. She'll know then what it is to see something through that's THIS monumental. If she has concerns about her future, she shouldn't; not much will be insurmountable in the face of this accomplishment.

Way to go, Broc. I'm proud of you!

Ed., this just in - she did it!

1 comment:

Dissident Sister said...

On edit, and seriously now, folks --

This was a very moving and terribly gracious post, Broc. If anyone was ever close to making me feel real human emotion, that person would be you, right now. So sweet, with your hot ass and getting-me-in-to-see-Greg-Proops!

Now, tell zapatera, who you and I both know is really named Tally McAlwaysBeenTallerThanMe, that I said thanks again for the congratulations message, because I don't have her email address and I don't know how often she checks things over here because you don't update enough you damned crackhead.