Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I got nuthin'

Well, not nothing, but I don't have much to blog about at length, however I don't want to face the wrath of Joy or Dru or Doctor (then again, they've gotten behind recently as well), so here's what's been going on in my electric world:

THE BAD:

I'm broke. I was really good about putting money aside for federal taxes, but completely forgot about state. Now I'm wiped out, and the nice cushion I had is almost depleted. Sad.

I want a boyfriend, and not because I'm broke, but because I need someone to do shit with. (Sorry for the repeat, Broc). I missed out on an opening at MOCA and seeing one of my clients headline at the Improv this weekend because no one ever wants to do anything. I want my +1.

THE GOOD:

Eugene Mirman. I finally devoted some time to checking out his web site, which is filled with funny videos and a photo of a child (presumably him) who sings songs like Friends in Low Places and Satisfaction. He's apparently one of the darlings of the New York comedy scene (Eugene, not the kid), so I'm definitely checking out his show when I'm there in September.

Sam Phillips. If you watch Gilmore Girls (and you should, and I don't want to hear any shit about it), she does the "la la la"'s in between scenes, as well as entire songs featured in the show. I guess she used to be a Christian recording artist, but I'll forgive her for that because now she's fucking awesome. I normally don't like female singer/songwriters, but what she does is so raw and stripped down that you can't help but feel for her and identify with what she's saying.

My drum lessons are going well. I slacked for a while, but my drum teacher, who's like the nicest guy in the world, got on me a few weeks ago, so since then I've really been devoting time to it. I've got some basic beats down and 10 of the 52 rudiments, and he's teaching me about "fills", what drummers use to bridge phrases in a song. When I concentrate, it's got me listening to music in a whole new way. Sometimes it's like hearing a song I like for the first time all over again, which is so exciting.

No comments: